Monday, December 07, 2009

STOCKINGS FOR THE TWINS


Lynlee asked if I could make Christmas stockings for her twin granddaughters in New Zealand.  I ased if she would like them to be modern, funky, cute-for-kids, or classic and traditional.




Lynlee opted for classic and traditional, and said she would like them to be heirlooms. But she did say that Sasha and Lydia just love purple and pink, like most other litle girls - so that really gave me something to work with!
I tried not to make them too Christmassy, in case they wanted to hang them on their bedroom walls.




I had great pleasure in getting out some old laces and crocheted doileys, and some pretty fruity fabrics that complement the pinks and purples, and stop them from being too "cloying."


I tried to add some playful touches, with suffolk puffs and button clusters, and thought a few hearts and stars would appeal to little girls too.


The stockings are not quite identical, and I thought the girls would have fun spotting the differences!


The silk ribbon embroidery is something I felt they may appreciate more as they get older.

When it came to the backing, I remembered I had a lovely pair of evening pants (from the Op shop) made from a lovely dark red/pink satiny fabric with black stippling - just perfect- glitzy, but not over the top! As usual, on my first attempt I cut the backing with the toe facing in the wrong direction, but fortunately had enough fabric to cut another.



For the lining I chose a purple cotton print. I have had this piece for years because I like the colour so much, but I knew I had found the right project for using it.


Here they are hanging on our fireplace. I trust they will also look great hanging in Lydia and Sasha's home in New Zealand!


1 comment:

Karen said...

Just beautiful, the girls will treasure them for years to come.

Related Posts with Thumbnails