Saturday, April 22, 2006


FUN OF THE FAIR
Now the School's Easter Carnival is a highlight in the year of all Norfolk families, and last night was no exception, even though it was held a week later this year!
It was a beautifully mild evening, and the community turned out in force to join in the fun, and make their usual contribution towards those many extras that the Parents and Citizens' Association provides to the school and its pupils.
My first port of call is usually the White Elephant table, but it doesn't matter how early I am, there plenty of people there before me. Nevertheless, I managed to find 2 or 3 "treasures" to add to all those others stashed away for that enormous garage sale my family will no doubt be holding when we "move on."!!
The Fish and Chips were cheap and in generous quantities, so that we could not even finish them...but it was so lovely to sit out there in the quadrangle under the stars and catch up with numerous old friends.
I could not resist a picture of this incredibly "over-the-top" yummy looking cake that was being raffled. You could invite the whole neighourhood round to afternoon tea and still have some left over. I believe it was made by Leanne Stanton, our Principal's wife.
My thoughts have turned to earlier school carnivals. Some of the entertainments were different in the old days. Back in the 60's, a very popular fundraiser was the "Cent line" where people were encouraged to come and add their loose change (1 and 2 cent pieces) to a line representing one of the School Sports Houses.
There was also the greasy pole. Now, just the other day, a lady who came to the island in the same year as me, and whose children I taught, told me that the first time she ever laid eyes on me, I was half-way up a greasy pole!! Well, I was game for anything in those days. I guess I still don't mind sticking my neck out, but in a different sort of way!!
Now one of the amazing things about these Easter Carnivals is the amount of money that is raised in just a couple of hours. Even in these financially difficult times, generous sharing and a sense of community are sustaining this island and its institutions!

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Hello Mary, That looks like a wonderful occasion. No wonder everyone looks forward to it. And are those Kewpie Dolls? I didn't know about them till I came to Australia 35 years ago, and there was a play on TV called "Summer of the Seventeenth Doll" and I think that's what they were. It's one of those rare programmes that I've seen on television that has stayed with me, even rather hauntingly
Cheers Gillian

Related Posts with Thumbnails