I made a background of silk paper, and then applied mainly silk fibres with the machine. But because I seem to have every colour imaginable except for the all-important dark green, I used a few of the wool fibres. Actually, the wool seems to work a bit better than the silk. I tried using some exotic acrylic yarns for the stalks, but they would not "grab" well at all. Next time I will raid my stash of tapestry and crewel wools.
The picture is definitely not finished. It needs some surface embroidery and/or some beads. A suggestion of some seed heads or Queen Anne's lace perhaps, to give it some liveliness.
For the past couple of years I have been on the lookout for old pure wool jumpers at the Op shop. They make wonderful "felt" if you throw them in the washing machine and break all the rules about washing wool. I believe the process is called "fulling" rather than felting. I think they are going to make an ideal base for some embellishing work, and will be better than the pellon I used for today's project.