Sunday, August 06, 2006

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT HAT?
I am always looking for something new to make with Crazy Patchwork, and last year I found a pattern for a beret. The design was developed by Annie Whitsed from Canberra, and I have actually seen Annie wearing one of these berets with great flair and panache.
I pulled out my jazziest scraps and went to town.
I took the attitude that if someone is brave and eccentric enough to wear a beret like this, then I may as well make it really loud and showy!
Fortunately I was able to email Annie when I needed a bit of explanation for the instructions at one stage, and Annie was, as usual, very generous with her help!
I embellished the beret as lavishly as I dared for something which does, after all, have to be practical enough to be worn!
For the underneath part, I used some felt that I had made myself. I bought a black woollen jumper at the Op shop, and washed it in very hot and cold water and detergent. In other words, I did all the wrong things for washing pure wool, and the result was a nice bit of thick felt with just the slightest bit of stretchiness. The lining was a lovely taffeta in the richest fuchsia/purple shade.
I certainly will not be the one who will wear the beret. I made it a little too small for my head. In any case, it looks as if it belongs to more cold and wintry place than Norfolk Island!
Meanwhile, the beret hangs decoratively on the post at the foot of the stairs, along with the bag I made to match it. One of these days, hopefully, I will find just the right person to give it to!
I was going to post a picture of the matching bag, but I will have to do that some other time. You see, Basil the cat had decided to take his nap on top of the scanner, and I could not possibly disturb him!

2 comments:

Bear said...

Mary
I would have thought your beautiful beret would have won the competition - but maybe it was the "silliness" of the other "hat" that won the judges over- BUT any time you want anyone to wear your wonderful and beautifully embellished CQ Beret- U do have my addy dont you??? If not I will let you know it quick smart- this is wonderful and bright and beautiful! and a winner in my eyes everytime!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo bear xoxoxoxxoxoxoxxo

Anonymous said...

That is really beautiful and worthy of a first prize, perhaps the person who thought otherwise was a relative of the 'Bob the Builder' entrant and had their arm twisted to make them the winner.

You have created a work of art that I would be proud to wear.

So keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more

Related Posts with Thumbnails