Sunday, May 20, 2012

SELLING AND BUYING


In my last posting, I showed some of the cards I have been making. They feature "ladies" in the classic and romantic style, mostly Edwardian, a few from the twenties and thirties.

I intended making cards that would be suitable for Mothers' Day, but not restricted to that occasion.

 Just the sort of thing you may give to the special lady in your life, just because you felt like it!



I took the cards down to the Soul Gallery the day before Mothers' Day, and was quite delighted when one was purchased immediately by someone to give to her daughter! It was one that said "Always and Forever."

I do not know if any more have sold. However, on that day I received a few dollars in payment for some other sales from the preceding fortnight. That was enough for me to make up my mind to go to a garage sale I had seen advertised in the paper that morning.
I did not really expect to find many goodies that I would want, because the lady holding the sale is a sewer and quilter, and would be hanging on to that sort of stuff.
But I was wrong....I found a heap of treasures in the form of doilies and cloths, with loads of lacy edgings etc.
 I do not think there are many people on this island who are really interested in this sort of stuff, so it usually sits around waiting for me to rescue it!
 I suspect these cloths above are commercially produced, but the crochet lace is just beautiful, and there is so much of it.
 Some of these are definitely handmade.



 These have some real possibilities!
A few simple little embroidered doileys in the mix.



 And some exquisite linen napkins. I do not know why, but I have been strongly attracted to lovely linens in recent times.

Now I really must dream up some projects to showcase some of this lovely work.
And I managed to spend almost the exact amount that I had "earned" earlier from the Gallery takings. So that made for a very satisfying morning!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I love the cards and I think you really scored on all the linens they are so beautiful. You don't see that kind of craft anymore or at least not where I live.

Ati said...

You are a lucky lady Mary to find such treasures on a garage sale.Wish I was there :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails